28 Οκτ 2016

Chromatics go back a long way to the invention of scales and pitch intervals.




Mozart goes on to use chromatic

and whole tone scales to outline fourths!!!




Warstub4 Σεπ 2014
Yip! You wouldn't believe how stuff like this gets glossed over when discussing Mozart, and then when Debussy goes on to do it, what d'ya know - he's a revolutionary!
Μετάφραση


+Warstub Ehh Mozart's music revolutionary? He didn't lead a transition to the romantic period, he didn't change anything within the classical era. He was very influential to the revolutionaries though, just like Bach.

+Hesus Oh don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. Outside of Opera, at least anyway. I've found that the majority of Mozart critique revolves around his perfecting of the Classical era while incorporating aspects of the Baroque within as well, and how it is all tied up in perfect harmony with perfect melodies etc. It's just that within all of that there are these astounding moments that no one before him ever thought of doing, and we can only lament that he didn't go on to develop those ideas further, e.g. the "10 tone-row interlude/transition" during the last movement of Symphony No. 40. There are other moments like this (that I've read about), but people are either unaware of them or just gloss over them because they only form a small, or minor, part of the work.

zutr fehgtr2 Μαρ 2015

+Warstub Debussy's music isn't considered revolutionary because it has chromatic and whole tone scales, it's because of the way he uses these techniques.
Μετάφραση

+Warstub If you want revolutionary, listen to Gesualdo! (I suggest 'moro lasso'.) Chromaticism unlike anything else in his time (the renaissance era) and only equaled 2, perhaps even 3, centuries later.


Μετάφραση

Warstub30 Ιουν 2015


Of course, chromatics go back a long way to the invention of scales and pitch intervals. I'm very aware of how and why Debussy's contribution is important - I guess I was in one of those reactionary moods in my original comment, but my follow up explains my position.


Thanks Piers - that's an interesting piece. Great to hear music I haven't heard before from so far back.


+Warstub You're welcome. Μετάφραση

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

Σημείωση: Μόνο ένα μέλος αυτού του ιστολογίου μπορεί να αναρτήσει σχόλιο.